Friday, September 28, 2018

Snowing Lightly & Windy

30 degrees and snowing now and then.  It was pretty cold too with a 25 mph wind blowing.

I got a little scared for a couple of minutes though.  It was too foggy to run around the lake so I drove down to the little deserted side road off the Dalton Highway where I could run free of any traffic. When I was at the far side of the road away from the highway, I saw a car pull in and park right next to my car! I'm always somewhat afraid to run into a bear, but being miles away from Deadhorse on a deserted road, I'd rather take my chances with a bear than a person who may mean me harm.  As I got closer, I saw a man step out of the car and saw he was talking on what looked like a cell phone.  I was relieved when I finally reached the cars because he turned out to be a North Slope Borough police officer.  I still wondered what on earth he would want with me.  As it turned out he was just checking to see what I was doing, and I suppose making sure I didn't need any help.  He accepted my story that I was merely out for a run, then he drove away.  At least he didn't arrest me and haul me off to the Deadhorse dungeon!

I was pretty slow today but it still felt good to get out and run, even though it was pretty cold.  Tomorrow will be my last day to run up here because I fly home on Sunday.  I can't wait to go home and get back to the real world.  After a month, I'm kind of weary of this place.


No comments:

Post a Comment