Saturday, April 29, 2023

Valley Thaw Out Half Marathon

 It was only 29 degrees when I left my house to head to the parking lot where I needed to park for this race. The normal lot at Pyra's was too wet and partially snow-covered so we had to park at the Jim Creek Recreation Center parking lot then take a shuttle to the start. I ended up waiting at the start line for one hour, trying to decide what I needed to wear for the race. I decided it was too cold to leave my fleece sweater so I started out wearing it. Later I put it in my running vest pack and switched to my windbreaker. The race starts at Pyra's Farm about halfway though the Bodenburg Butte Loop Road, when the road reaches the Old Glenn Highway, we turn left along the bike trail for several miles to Virginia Street, then turn around and head back. On the way back, we pass the first loop road then turn right at the other end of the loop by the flashing light. A couple more miles brings us back to Pyra's and the finish line. As usual, I was slower than any of the other half marathon runners and was quickly in last place. The race sweep stayed right by me on his bicycle all the way to the Old Glenn Highway. I do appreciate that he is there for safety, but having him right beside or just behind me is kind of unnerving. Last year I asked him to stay farther back so I could run at my own pace. But this time I just tried to ignore him. But it does make me nervous having someone following right next to me. Once I reached the bike trail, he didn't stay with me. That was kind of a relief. Although, at the turn around I told him I had dropped a glove back on the road and asked if he had seen it. He was kind enough to go back and retrieve it for me. So at that point, I was quite grateful for his help. I hated to lose one of those nice running gloves, although they could have easily been replaced. Once I left the bike trail and was on the second half of the loop road, he was there beside me again. By then I was getting too tired to care. I was frustrated because I just can't seem to speed up. But then again, I keep reminding myself that I'll be 77 in just a couple of weeks and most ladies my age are not out running half marathons in freezing conditions. 

I did finish, and was about 10 minutes slower than last year's time. I was slow and I will be sore and tired, but I'm glad I chose to run the race.


No comments:

Post a Comment