Tuesday, April 4, 2023

Crevasse Moraine Trails Hike

 There were 5 waypoints from the Spring challenge in the Crevasse Moraine Trail System. So I set out with Baby to locate them all. The first 4 were easily found on the icy, turning slushy trails. I tend to get lost on these trails so it was nice using my navigation apps to find my way. I loved getting some hill climbing in today too. The 5th waypoint seemed to get further away no matter how directly I would navigate to it. After walking about one mile, my dog decided she didn't like the route and she tried to turn back. We were walking along the fence that separates the trails from the landfill. The waypoint looked like it was right on that trail. But something seemed wrong so I agreed with my dog and we turned back to the trailhead. I tried driving to it from the trailhead and realized it had to be wrong because it appeared to be in the landfill. So I pulled over and copied the waypoint from the original email, then converted it to decimal and found that the location I had saved was incorrect. I must have made a mistake in my tedious copy/paste activity between the Gaia app, the email list, and the internet conversion link. Once I found the right waypoint, I drove back to the trailhead. Baby let me know that she had no interest in finding that spot. I didn't want to leave her in the car and I didn't want to go home, once I saw that it was only a half mile from the trailhead. So I packed her into my backpack and hiked to that last waypoint. Just a few more slushy hills and there it was. I found a big tree with some brown paint on it that seemed to be right on the spot. I didn't mind getting a little extra exercise, but Baby was happy to be a rider for that last mile. We hiked almost 7 miles just collecting the waypoints. Typical of me whenever I wander in the Crevasse Moraine Trail System. If it is possible to make a wrong turn, I will do it!

One of the few places where the mountains were visible through the trees

Marking the 3rd waypoint 

The 4th waypoint also on that Mooseberry Mesa Trail

Tired Baby

The last waypoint once I got the right coordinates

No comments:

Post a Comment