Tuesday, April 11, 2023

Lazy Mountain Attempt

 It was pretty cloudy this morning with threats of snow. But my new friend, Jodi, who I met on Friday hiking the Twin Peaks Trail, and I planned to try hiking Lazy Mountain today. There has been a lot of snow over the weekend, so we weren't sure what kind of conditions we might encounter. I considered bringing snowshoes, but it looked like the bottom of the trail was fairly well packed. So I went without them. Two runners came down shortly before we started up. Both had the same story of high winds above the picnic table. One said his footprints were gone on his return due to drifting snow. That didn't sound too promising, but we started up anyway. It really wasn't too bad, but with 5 or 6 inches of fresh snow over the hard pack beneath, was tricky. We often found we'd take two steps up and slide one step down. The temperature was nice, right around 30 degrees, and no wind until.... we got to that picnic table. The wind was brutal there. I took off my pack to get out my down coat, and Baby plopped right on the pack. I'm certain she was trying to tell me she would rather ride if we were going to continue in that wind. We knew it would have been miserable and likely not successful, plus the ceiling was nearly at our level and it was starting to snow. So, we turned back. Baby was very happy and tried to run all the way down. I kept pleading with her to slow down, since her leash was attached to my waistbelt. But she would just turn around and give me a dirty look. I only slipped and fell once, which really was kind of a miracle. It was very slippery going down. But it was an awesome adventure and we can't wait to try it again very soon.

Baby hoping to get into my pack

View from the picnic table


Jodi and me

Baby and me

Jodi in disguise, with Baby

No comments:

Post a Comment