Saturday, April 15, 2023

Barbara Falls, Campbell Airstrip Trails & Alpenglow

 I considered skiing again at Skeetawk today, since this is our last weekend of the season. But I needed to be at Alpenglow Ski Area at 6, near Anchorage because one of our patrollers was being honored for his 70th year as a Ski Patroller. I sure didn't want to miss that. So I drove to the Eagle River area and checked out the trail to Barbara Falls. One of the navigation waypoints was somewhere in that area so I figured I would go find it. It turned out to be the lookout platform overlooking Barbara Falls. It was a very short trail on soft hard packed snow. The waterfall is really beautiful and I'm so glad I finally had the chance to see it. I also walked down to the base of the falls for an even more spectacular view.


A video and a couple of photos at the falls:



Ice formation at the base of the falls

After the falls, I drove on into Anchorage and went for a short hike with my friend Diane and her daughter Maria. Several of the navigation challenge waypoints are near her house. So we hiked to one of them out on the trails towards Campbell Airstrip. I have now found 30 of the waypoints. I didn't have enough time to seek out any more so I had to leave to get up to Alpenglow. It was wonderful to see Dave Hendrickson honored. 70 years of service with the National Ski Patrol. Next year I'll reach my 50th but I hope to catch up with Dave in another 20 years.  He's an amazing man.


No comments:

Post a Comment