Wednesday, April 12, 2023

Moose Range Skiing

It was snowing hard at my house, and also snowing everywhere between here and Anchorage. I'd hoped to go to the Eagle River Nature Center and locate 4 lat/long waypoints from the Spring challenge. But they didn't have any recent trail conditions on their website. So I decided to wait until at least a little better weather rather than drive for an hour in horrible conditions. I wanted to ski somewhere, but Hatcher Pass Avalanche Center posted that they had received 21 inches of snow in the last 24 hours, meaning significant avalanche danger. I decided to just stay in the lowlands and go check out the trail at the Palmer Moose Range. It was snowing very hard there, but at least it was calm and right around 30 degrees. So Baby and I skied the 2 miles round trip to the swamp and back. We were both soaking wet by the time we got back. I think Baby was ready to turn around long before I was. But she did continue to bounce along, mostly in front of me. The fresh snow was kind of sticky and I had to work harder than usual at times, to keep moving. It was so beautiful and peaceful out there. There is a special kind of silence when it is snowing heavily like that. We were all alone and it was silent except for the call of an occasional raven and the sound of snow falling on snow. We turned around at the swamp and Baby ran us all the way back to the car. The last few feet to the parking lot gave me a speedy ride since she saw two loose dogs by the car. I was glad my skis were no longer sticking. I plan to wax them when I get home.


At the swamp



No comments:

Post a Comment