Thursday, April 13, 2023

Eagle River Nature Center Trails

We've had so much snow lately that I really didn't know what to expect on the trails at the Eagle River Nature Center at the far end of Eagle River Road. I had several inches of new snow this morning at my house and wore my cross country skies just to take my dog for her morning walk. There were 4 waypoints from the Spring Navigation challenge that were on those trails. So I brought my skis, snowshoes, and hiking boots to cover all possibilities. It was extremely icy in the parking lot and I could see the trails were not conducive to skiing. Apparently they didn't get that nice fresh snowfall that happened at my house. I wore my micro spikes and walked 5 miles, collecting all of the waypoints. They were all on or near the main trails. It was nice and warm and the trails were all nicely hard packed for walking. Baby seemed to really enjoy herself. We found the salmon viewing platform, the Eagle River access point, a point in the middle of a beautiful wooden bridge, and another river access trail that was open to fat tire bikes. Most were on or just off the Albert Loop Trail. The most difficult part of our beautiful 5 mile hike was finding our way back to the parking lot. I managed to drop my map back at the 4th waypoint and turned back 1/4 mile to get it. I didn't need the map but since it was inside a plastic bag, I didn't want it to become a permanent piece of litter on the Eagle River water system. When almost back to the Nature Center, I took a wrong turn and ended up at the maintenance building. I backtracked and finally found the right trail. I never mind getting in a little extra mileage. It is so beautiful out there!



One of many nice wooden bridges on the trail




Sign near the last waypoint

No comments:

Post a Comment