Tuesday, April 18, 2023

Campbell Creek & Bivouac Trails

 I decided to head to Anchorage to see if I could find a few more of the Spring Shoulder Season Stoke waypoints. I already found one in the Campbell Creek area so went there first to find the other 2. It was a lovely little hike, on packed snow. I didn't even need ice grippers or even wear my hiking boots. My snow boots worked just great. Baby and I found the first one on the Birch Knob Trail, on the top of the hill before it heads down to join the Viewpoint Trail. From there we followed another trail along Campbell Creek. the waypoint there was right on the creek at the bottom of a little metal staircase. The creek was lovely and running nicely even though the banks and the trail were still snow-covered.



We left there and drove a short way up Campbell Airstrip Road to the North Bivouac Trailhead. There were 3 waypoints in that area. The first one was the farthest, over a mile from the trailhead. It appeared to be on the Tank Trail. At first I considered the other 2 but then realized I was already on the Tank Trail. So Baby and I hiked to that one first. We were the only ones on the trail, which made it very peaceful. When we reached the gate to the military base, we also reached the waypoint. So that one was pretty obvious. On our way back we turned right along the 2.5 km loop and picked up the other 2 waypoints and tracked back to the trailhead. We logged about 6 miles. Now I have 35 of the 40 waypoints. I'm planning to climb Lazy Mountain tomorrow, which will give me the one point that is close to the summit. If we're successful I'll only need to find 4 more to have all 40. But to be a finisher, we only need to find 20. I have enjoyed finding them, so it's been a great navigation learning experience.

Military Base Warning Sign

Military Boundary

First waypoint on the 2.5km Trail

Second waypoint on the 2.5km Trail

No comments:

Post a Comment