Sunday, April 23, 2023

Skiing on Archangel Road

 I had planned to hike the Twin Peaks Trail with my friend Alice, in Anchorage, but she didn't feel good this morning so canceled. My other friend, Jodi, said she was going to Archangel to cross country ski, so I decided to do the same. It's a beautiful sunny warm day and I didn't want to just stay home. Also, the wind is blowing about 40 miles an hour here at home so I really didn't want to stay around here. Even my morning walk with the dog was pretty miserable even though it was slightly above freezing. I got there before Jodi, but decided to start out before she arrived because she is a faster skier than I am and I knew she would catch up with me. That way she didn't have to go slower to accommodate my slower speed. She did catch me fairly quickly and we had a nice trip to the little bridge over Archangel Creek. The trail got very rough after that so we turned around. At that point, snowmachines are permitted on the trail and they really chew it up. She wanted to head to Arctic Valley and snowboard for a while too. So we headed back. She skied really fast back to the cars. The tracks were very fast and a few times I was a little concerned that I might kill myself going downhill feeling a little out of control. Baby was on her leash and pulling me for most of the way, but she got tired and ended up just running beside me. She did try to have a couple of altercations with other dogs that sent me flying towards them or being pulled backwards, screaming for her to please stop! Happily, I remained upright all the way back to the car. It was a really gorgeous day up there and also nice and calm. It warmed up to the mid 40's and felt almost like summer. 





No comments:

Post a Comment