Thursday, April 20, 2023

Turnagain Arm Trail & Beach

 I went to Anchorage and treated myself to some nice new hiking/mountaineering boots. I was tired of sore feet with my old ones. Since the last 4 waypoints of the Spring Shoulder Season Stoke were all in the Anchorage area, I set out to find them all. The first one I went for was near the trails at Kincaid Park. I thought that one would be close and fairly easy to find. But most of the trails heading in the right direction were not groomed or packed at all. I first tried the Coastal Trail which started out in the right direction, but soon diverged away from the course. I saw a groomed trail up higher that seemed closer to the right direction, and I followed some footprints leading up there. That trail also began to diverge. On the map I could see a trail intersecting the one I was on that appeared to lead in the right direction. But when I reached that intersection once again I found only a narrow string of boot prints. I decided to follow them, post holing now and then. I finally reached the cliffs overlooking the inlet. My GPS indicated that the waypoint must be down on the beach. At first I saw no way down, but finally stumbled on a narrow muddy steep and icy trail leading straight down the cliff. It looked more like an erosion trail than a purposeful trail, but there were a couple of posts connected by ropes leading down it. I grabbed the ropes and found my way down and back. At the bottom I was on the beach with a beautiful view, next to the sign that read Welcome to Anchorage Coastal Wildlife Refuge. My Gaia app indicated that I was on the waypoint. After dragging myself back up by the ropes I found the official Beach Access Trail that lead far from towards Kincaid Park, but did at least lead back to the Coastal Trail. I added at least a half to a full mile to the hike that I thought would be much shorter, but did find my way back. 

On the beach



From there I drove to the McHugh Creek parking area because the other 3 waypoints all appeared to be on the Turnagain Arm Trail, with the first one being very close to the parking lot. I put on my new boots with my micro spikes and Baby and I started up the trail. We passed a small waterfall on McHugh Creek and located the first waypoint on the little bridge over the creek. Then we turned towards Potter and followed the trail for anther mile or so to the next point which was a rock mound overlooking the inlet. The view was so spectacular, I wanted to spend the rest of the day there staring at it in the bright sunshine. But I took my pictures then continued on, past a moose who, thankfully ignored us while she was feasting on some alders. We walked through the slushy snow at least another mile. Then we found the 3rd waypoint. This one was on top of a little snow-covered hill with a bench facing the inlet. Once again, a fantastic view of the inlet. That bench looked very inviting. But by then Baby and I were both getting tired. My legs already felt like wet spaghetti from yesterday's climb of Lazy Mountain, so we started our return hike. The GPS showed the first and third waypoints as only 2 miles apart. But that was obviously only 'As the crow flies' because by the time we were back to the car, we had logged 6 miles on that trail. But I can now say I have hiked to all 40 of the listed waypoints. I loved the challenge and learned a lot about the pros and cons and usefulness of the Gaia app and other GPS satellite tracking devices. I did stumble around a lot but always managed to find the spot I was seeking. I feel certain I am now able to keep myself from becoming hopelessly lost, as long as I bring my extra iPhone battery charger along on my treks, anyway.







No comments:

Post a Comment