Monday, June 1, 2015

Snowing!

Back at work in Deadhorse and greeted by snow falling.  Snow, wind, cold, nasty, and lots of standing water and mud. I thought about trying to run outside but then took the lazy person route and ran 3 miles on the treadmill instead.  It wasn't my best run because I am still tired from the transition to night shift.  But I didn't want to just roll over and go back to sleep, although it sure seemed like a good idea at the time.

I'm finally caught up for the moment on all my flights, hotels, and travel plans for the next few marathon trips on my agenda.  Booked my flight to Missoula, Montana, along with my nights at the host hotel there.  Then bought my ferry ticket to Cordova for the Cordova Marathon, and reserved my hotel room at the Prince William Hotel.  My biggest challenge has been trying to figure out how in the world to get to the island country of Jersey for the Jersey Marathon October 4th.  I still can't decide how long I want to stay there or whether I want to visit some other places while over in Europe.  Travel there is complex because there are no flights from London Heathrow to Jersey, and taking the ferry would take too long.  I get off work September 30 and don't get to the Anchorage Airport until about 8:30 pm.  To get to Jersey by October 2nd, when I booked my hotel, and really need to be there, is a 2 day trip.  So I used Alaska Airline miles and booked one way to Jersey.  I leave at 2:45 am October 1st from Anchorage, which means I won't even go home after my month in Deadhorse.  I'll hang out at the airport for 4 hours then off to Jersey.  I don't get there until 4:30 pm on the 2nd, but at least I will be there to pick up my race packet and meet with the Marathon Globetrotters on the 3rd.  Now I just have to hope no flights get canceled or delayed between Deadhorse and Jersey. If I am delayed, I could probably still get in on the 3rd and have the club pick up my race packet.

Sometimes the travel logistics are more difficult than the marathons themselves!

No comments:

Post a Comment