Friday, March 31, 2023

Rabbit Slough

Today was a perfect day to finally try to see how far we could ski on Rabbit Slough. The ice was still firm and the trail had a little fresh snow on it, making ski conditions ideal. I was with my friend Pam, and our two dogs. We followed the old tracks from some previous skier. We went nearly 7 miles round trip. Looking at the map, I think we still had at least another mile to actually reach the inlet. But as we got farther out, the snow became more and more sparse, and the ice was getting pretty rotten. At one point, Pam was able to break through the ice with her ski pole. The creek is very shallow as it gets closer to the inlet, plus it's very open out there, with no more trees to block the sun. It is melting quickly. At one point we were actually skiing partially on grass through the marsh. It was time to turn around before one of us got wet! I think the trail won't be skiable much longer. My next trip there will be in my kayak.





No comments:

Post a Comment