Sunday, March 19, 2023

Eklutna Lake Skiing

Today was a really nice, spring-like day, good for a trip up to Eklutna Lake to ski on the lake before the ice melts. My friend, Alice went with me. She forgot her ski boots, so just walked, while I practiced with my backcountry skis. Baby didn't seem to see the point of it all so I ended up carrying her in my backpack for most of the way. She seems happy to climb up any mountain regardless of how cold and windy, but on the flat, like here at Eklutna, she often wants to turn back to the car. There was a nice new snowfall of several inches covering up all the rough spots I found there last week. We followed one nicely packed snowmachine trail. There was a parallel ski trail next to the snowmachine trail so we found our best travel method was Alice walking on the snowmachine trail while I skied the ski tracks. It was a beautiful mostly sunny day. There were high clouds and a little wind. I thought the cloud formations were just spectacular and in many ways more interesting than a completely clear bluebird day. It was a fairly short trip but still a nice little workout for both of us. I let Baby out of her pack for the last mile, and she happily ran back to the car, helping to pull me along.






No comments:

Post a Comment