Wednesday, March 8, 2023

Rabbit Slough to Wasilla Creek

 Rabbit Slough is really just a narrow meandering creek that empties into Knik Arm of Cook Inlet after several miles from the start of a small dirt road that leads to a parking lot where people can launch small boats, such as canoes, kayaks and stand up boards. I've launched my kayak from there on several occasions. In winter, the gate is closed to the boat ramp but you can park at the end of the main road and walk or ski to the small parking lot and boat ramp. I've always turned left and skied in the downstream direction. But I've been curious about what might lie up ahead in the other direction. There were some ski and snowshoe tracks heading that way so I decided to follow them. I was also using the AllTrails iPhone app which does show an actual hiking trail in that direction. Of course it is always a winter trail since it is on the creek during summer. I used the app to be sure I was really on the trail since there are few trees in that direction, making it a bit harder to stay right on the creek itself. The route ends before it reaches Nelson Road or the Wasilla Creek Boardwalk trail, but it is pretty easy to follow the correct direction on the map. The ski tracks I was following were branching off in multiple directions so I just pointed towards the boardwalk on the map. My whole route was just under 5 miles round trip. The conditions were perfect for skiing. The dog preferred to stay in the ski tracks since the deeper snow was too deep for her. We saw several groups of moose fairly close by but they didn't seem to notice or care much about us, and just wandered on their way. It's mostly just a swap out in that area during the summer.  The Wasilla Creek Trail is an elevated boardwalk because otherwise it would all be under water. So, this route is only possible when completely snow covered. I like that even though its still very close to both Palmer and Wasilla, it feels like the middle of nowhere. It's very quiet and peaceful and is not used by snow machines. 




Eagle Nest

Closer Look at the Eagle Nest

No comments:

Post a Comment