Tuesday, March 21, 2023

Bodenburg Butte Climb

I can feel a slight stiffness to my legs after yesterday's climb up Lazy Mountain, but I felt a restless urge to keep on climbing. I talked my friend Mark into hiking up the Butte today. It's a short little climb compared to Lazy Mountain, but it's still quite a workout. It's only about 3 miles out and back, but half of it is really steep. It's an interesting trail because the top half is a set of wooden stairs. Fortunately they have hand rails or nylon covered wire ropes to hang onto. There are solid piles of ice on all of the steps and even with spikes on my boots, it's pretty slippery. I was clinging to those ropes like my life depended on it. I had the disadvantage of holding onto the leash of my dog who thinks she must run up or down all trails. In a couple of places even she was slipping and I had to pick her up and move her over the slippery parts. It was windy down along the river, so we knew we would be greeted by that same wind when we got to the top. Yes, it was quite the wintry blast up there, but at least it was fairly warm. It was in the low 30's so not terrible. The views were lovely as always. I really love that little climb.


Hairstyle by the East Wind


Knik Glacier View

Pioneer Peak


No comments:

Post a Comment