Monday, March 6, 2023

Wetlands Trail

I didn't have a lot of time for exploring today because I had a bunch of errands to do. But I took some time just to walk around Reflections Lake, a small lake with a mile long trail that encircles it. I think it is my dog's favorite trail.  She gets excited when I take the exit ramp from the highway that leads to it. When the conditions are right, you can follow the Wetlands Trail that takes off about halfway around the lake towards the confluence of the Knik and Matanuska Rivers. Sometimes, it immediately dumps you into a muddy swamp or it is only deep untracked snow and difficult to follow. But today it was a hard packed snow trail so we followed it until it deteriorated into deep post holes, that nearly swallowed up my little dog. It's such a wild place and I rarely encounter other hikers, walkers or wildlife out there. It's still so close to the main trail but one feels as if they are far out into the wilderness. 



No comments:

Post a Comment