Wednesday, March 22, 2023

Archangel Road Ski

 I woke up fully intending to try doing a little skiing on the trail people have been using to bike out to the Knik Glacier. I discovered where it was yesterday. However, when I looked at the sky in that direction it looked like the world was about to come to an end over there. It was blowing and foggy and likely snowing and I could hardly see the mountains. So with both sets of skis in the back of my car I turned toward the sun and drove up to Hatcher Pass where it was gorgeous with blue skies and sunshine. My next goal was to use my backcountry skis and ski up the closed road to Summit Lake at the top of the pass. When I got to the parking area I found the snow removal folks had plowed gigantic 10 foot high snow piles in front of every reasonable access to that road. I tried both possible parking lots but never found a place where I felt I could climb over all that mess and get to the road. I just gave up and drove back down to Archangel Road. It was quite icy and hard packed but at least it was a beautiful day. I used my backcountry skis even though my classic Nordic skis would have also been fine. I just love those backcountry skis and seem to use every excuse to use them. It was great conditions, although very fast and icy. Baby was in her obstinate mood and didn't want to walk, so I had to put her in my backpack. That makes me work a little harder, but she's only about 9 pounds. It's a good workout, and she can relax. I don't want her to ever be unhappy on our little excursions. I want her to look forward to going places with me and not be horrified that I'm going to put her through torture! About halfway to the bridge, she started to get really restless, so I let her back out. Then she was happy to run along and seemed to be enjoying herself. It was nice and warm, right around freezing and not windy. 
It was a perfect day up there on Archangel Road, we didn't even see any noisy snowmachines and the trail was still OK even all the way to the bridge. It's usually all torn up after the ski grooming ends.

We had a nice fast ride all the way back to the car with Baby running at full speed.






No comments:

Post a Comment