Tuesday, March 28, 2023

Run to Wolverine Creek and Back

 I was still a little tired from yesterday's rather exhausting trek up McRobert's Creek Trail. So didn't figure I would do anything too strenuous today. It was also kind of cool and snowing lightly on my morning dog walk. I went to Walmart with my friend, Mark, then while we waited for his photos to be printed, we took the one mile hike around Reflections Lake. The Wetlands side trail looked fairly solid so we walked out there as far as the trail was walkable. It eventually reaches the confluence of the Knik and Matanuska Rivers. But today the packed snow had deteriorated before reaching that point. When we got back to the car, we drove over to the Wasilla Creek Boardwalk Trail because I wanted to show it to Mark. A few weeks ago I skied from Rabbit Slough to the platform at the end of the boardwalk and thought he would enjoy seeing it. It is elevated because it is very marshy in that area. It's less than a mile round trip.

Later when I got home, I felt like I now had a second wind and wanted to get in a run down to Wolverine Creek. Baby didn't seem quite as enthusiastic, but she reluctantly ran along with me. I need to get in more actual running in addition to hiking and skiing, since I do have a few upcoming marathons later this year. It was nice and warm at 45 degrees and I felt quite comfortable. Baby was anxious to turn around so once we got to the creek I turned back instead of running up the hill to the big carrot sign. I noticed she ran a lot faster in the direction towards home. We ran 4.75 miles, just short of the usual 5 miles up to the carrot sign. It felt great.





No comments:

Post a Comment