Wednesday, March 29, 2023

Twin Peaks Trail Hike

Today has been pretty gloomy but at least it's not raining or snowing. I wanted to do something that involved hill climbing so decided to drive up to Eklutna Lake and hike the Twin Peaks Trail. It was fairly warm at 32 degrees and very calm. The trail was hard packed snow and very easy hiking with micro spikes on my boots. Baby really likes this trail and much prefers it to the flatter Lakeside Trail and the frozen lake itself. I guess there are more interesting doggie smells along that trail. She was very happy to race all the way up, stopping at every tree and bare spot to sniff. I think it was almost easier climbing on the snow than on the bare trail in the summer. We started pretty late in the day so realistically only had time to go to the first bench with the beautiful lookout over the lake. I considered continuing on to the second bench, but it looked like the trail might not be quite as hard packed. The first part is the most traveled, so was in excellent condition. We turned back and ran the whole way back down to the car. In the parking lot we ran into the park ranger and he enthusiastically thanked me for having my dog on a leash. Loose dogs can be quite a problem on some of the most popular trails. I do always keep Baby on a leash. She is very small, and has a tendency to run off after the first person, squirrel, dog or moose she happens to see. Also, if she gets tired, she would likely make a sudden about face and run back to the car. 
Twin Peaks Trail is one of my favorite trails and I love the views from the overlook and from the ridge above the second bench. It's also great hill training.





No comments:

Post a Comment