Sunday, July 28, 2024

Tanaina & Milo Lakes Kayak

 The weather was still pretty good so shortly after our walk to the creek, I decided to load the kayak into my car and head up to the Nancy Lake area again. I am really interested in doing the Lynx Lake Canoe Trail again. It's an 8 mile loop through a bunch of lakes with short portages between most of them. I've done it a couple times in the past, many years ago using my canoe and a paddling partner. But so far, I've had no luck talking anyone into doing it with me, either using my canoe or bringing their own boat while I use my kayak. So I have pretty much resigned myself to doing it solo. Tanaina Lake is the starting and ending point of the loop. Today I put in at the Tanaina Lake trailhead and paddled along the shortline to the first portage then carried the kayak along the short portage trail to Milo Lake. It was very easy to do with my lightweight Oru Kayak. Bella was with me, and seemed a bit confused when we walked a short distance then were suddenly back in a different lake. She kept busy barking at water lilies and a couple of kayakers we saw out on Milo Lake. It was starting to get windy and dark clouds overhead were beginning to look threatening. So rather than paddle to the next portage, I turned around and went back to Tanaina Lake. It was a good choice too, because now the wind was much stronger on that lake. I wasn't too worried, but I think Bella sensed that I was a little concerned because she kept barking at the waves and giveing me concerned looks. I had planned to stay near the shoreline, but decided to head straight across and get to the trailhead as soon as possible. I had to paddle hard to beat the wind. But it didn't take too long. Bella seemed quite relieved when I packed up and carried the kayak back to the car. Now I'm just waiting for a nice sunny calm day that looks as if it will stay that way, then I'll plan to do the whole trip alone. 






This is a map of the entire loop

No comments:

Post a Comment