Wednesday, July 10, 2024

Harp Mountain Climb

 Bella and I climbed Harp Mountain at the end of Hiland Road, with the Valley Wanderers today. It's a very steep but very beautiful climb to over 5000 feet. The whole hike was about 4 miles round trip. It started out very warm as we hiked up the steep trail through the brush and trees. Once we broke out of the treeline, we hit some wind and clouds started swirling around the peak. The original plan was to climb the peak then do the traverse and hike out along the South Fork of Eagle River Trail. But that plan was scrapped, and the plan change wasn't sent to all of us. I met at the Trunk Road Park and Ride spot but found no one there. After a few texts with the original leader, I learned that we were not planning the traverse and to just meet at the Harp Trailhead for an out and back hike. I wasn't the only one who missed the memo on the change of plans, so a couple others went to the South Fork Trailhead to place cars. Once we all ended up at the Harp trailhead, we had the option of just the climb or the traverse. On top I was feeling really tired, so elected to take the shorter but steeper route back down instead of the traverse. It was getting very cold and windy and looked like it might start raining. I'm not sure I made the best choice, but I did enjoy the hike down. Bella ran most of the way off leash in both directions. I had to make sure she didn't end up going back to the top as other hikers passed us on our way down. She was pretty good about sticking with the group that contained me and the dog food I was carrying! Judith had lost her camera on the way up so we searched for it on our way down. We backtracked a couple of times while searching until she finally found it, lower on the trail than she expected. I was so happy she found it. The trail is very slippery with loose gravel and scree and I had a couple of falls, but nothing got injured. I felt like I was wearing glass slippers and walking on ball bearings most of the way. That would have been one advantage of the traverse even though it would have taken a couple more hours, because it's not as steep. I did it last summer, and remembered the bushwacking and stream and swamp crossings. So that helped with my decision to just go down with the group who took that route. Next time, I'll probably do the traverse. It's very beautiful either way. Bella slept all the way home in the car.



Puppy kisses on the summit


Nice plaque on top. I wonder who Don was.

Symphony Lake in the distance

No comments:

Post a Comment