Friday, May 7, 2021

Matanuska Railroad Trail

It was raining and cold this morning so I figured I'd likely hang out indoors and accomplish next to nothing.  But I quickly got bored with that idea so drove down to town. By then, the rain had stopped so I decided to go for a little walk along the Palmer Rail Trail. I didn't figure I'd go very far, but once Baby and I started walking, we kept going.  I did want to see how the rock slide areas looked now that the snow is all gone.  In the winter, it was treacherous and impossible to negotiate them safely. After the first mile, the trail is no longer maintained and we encountered many areas where the trail has eroded away or huge rock slides have taken out whole sections of trail. We crossed several of them, and although it made me nervous, we really didn't have any trouble crossing them.  But then we came to a huge double rock slide area and I decided that I preferred to not try to cross that alone.  So we turned back.  One the way back I saw a thin trail that went straight up the side hill.  I wondered where it went and was thinking maybe it went back to the highway.  So we ventured up it.  I decided about halfway up that there was no way I was going to try to get back down it.  It was very steep and I was depending on grabbing trees to keep from slipping. Once we got to the top I was disappointed to find that it just led to a hayfield, that was likely part of someone's yard.  We skirted along the edge of it and tried a couple of different little game trails hoping to find our way back to the rail trail.  But they all led to straight down cliffs.  So then we just followed along the edge of the hayfields hoping to find a way to the road or back to the trail.  We finally found a jeep trail through the field and followed it back to Eagle Street.  I guess it wasn't a good idea to follow a game trail that leads straight up a side hill, when you have no idea where it goes! But it was kind of a fun little adventure anyway.



No comments:

Post a Comment