Thursday, May 20, 2021

Lazy Mountain

 It was raining this morning and only about 40 degrees. I was still quite tired after the 30 miles I put on over the last two days.  But I had planned to climb Lazy Mountain with my friend Pam, so we met at the trailhead. We planned to hike up the steep Lazy Mountain Trail then take the more gentle switchback Lazy Moose Trail on the way down. The rain had stopped but on the ridge it was very windy. We reached the top after an hour and 30 minutes. It was calm and not terribly cold, although I did see a few snowflakes.  The trail was mostly dry except for a couple of short areas of soft snow.  

Baby did really well and got along with Pam's two dogs.  She took off pulling with everything she had on the way down and we just let her lead. After awhile, I noticed the trail didn't seem to look right.  I mentioned it to Pam and she said she felt the same way.  Then I looked at the map app on my phone and discovered we were way off! It looked like we were actually on the Matanuska Peak Trail.  That seemed impossible since we seemed to have followed the only obvious trail. We did eventually come to the junction of the Matanuska Peak Trail and the McRobert's Creek Trail, and had to return to the Lazy Mountain Trailhead via the Morgan Horse Trail. After I got home, I looked at the Lazy Mountain Trail brochure and discovered the trail we had taken.  We took the Lazy Mountain Southside Trail which connects with the Matanuska Peak Trail.  It was a really nice trail and not nearly as steep the trail we took up, but a bit steeper than the Lazy Moose Trail. The route was definitely a little longer than the other routes and our whole trip was 7 miles.

Note to self: Don't let the chihuahua lead the hike!



View from the top


Trail Map

No comments:

Post a Comment