Thursday, May 27, 2021

AKtive Valley Trail Race - May

This month's trail race was on the Government Peak Trails.  Since this is a virtual race series, we can do the course any day of the month. Unfortunately the Government Peak Recreation Area trail system has been closed for most of the month.  It finally opened up on May 24th. The race organizers marked the race course yesterday and I decided to take advantage of the good weather and the trail markings and do it today.  I only planned to walk rather than run.  I talked my friend, Mark into going along so I could show him these lovely trails.  The course followed the Fireweed Trail then connected to the Fiddlehead Trail and led back to the starting point at the parking lot.  I did the exact same route early this past winter and was excited to see it again without trudging through snow.  It was beautifully green with many stream crossings. Quite different from my winter trek. Baby, my chihuahua led the way, happily stopping at most of the stream crossing for a drink of water.  We saw one moose, who fortunately wasn't interested in chasing us.


 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment