Thursday, September 24, 2009

Running in the SNOW!

It has been snowing hard for several days now. I ran 6 miles in about 4 inches of snow, and it was actually quite pleasant. At least it wasn't windy today. At first my depth perception was really off because the snow was untracked. I ran back and forth on my favorite side road, 1/2 mile from my car and back. Once I made some tracks, I was able to judge where the ground actually was. It was a little slippery so I wore my ice grippers on my running shoes. My feet got a little wet, but it wasn't uncomfortable. I like the feel of the snow falling gently on my face, and looking out over endless tundra as I am running. I stay close enough to my car to scurry back if I see a polar bear or a grizzly bear off in the distance. But so far I have been totally alone out there. I saw a flock of geese flying south. I guess most of the open water is gone now, so it won't be long before all the birds have flown south. I think the quiet Arctic winter has arrived.

No comments:

Post a Comment