Thursday, August 17, 2023

Lazy Mountain Matanuska Peak Ridge Hike

 Today I hiked the ridge between Lazy Mountain and Matanuska Peak with the Valley Wanderers. We hiked to the 16,500 marker on the Matanuska Peak Trail then hiked up through thick wet brush to the top of the ridge. While pushing through that brush I was thinking it would have been easier to simply hike all the way up Matanuska Peak. I have been wanting to climb it all summer, but haven't found a good day and someone to join me. I'm considering simply packing up to the base of the peak and camping, then going to the summit in the early morning before the afternoon buildup clouds roll in to obscure the view. Today we had spectacular views in all directions. It was a strenuous hike but such a gorgeous sunny day. Just enough wind to keep from getting too hot on the climbing parts. Our high point was 4195 feet.







No comments:

Post a Comment