Tuesday, August 22, 2023

Jim Lake to McRoberts Creek & Mud Lake

 It was a perfectly calm day and I suggested to Mark, my friend, that we take his canoe on the roof of my car and I bring my new origami folding kayak and we head to Jim Lake. We crossed the lake our usual way and crossed at the portage over to the McRoberts Creek, Jim Creek route. Instead of our usual paddle downstream to the actual Jim Creek, Mark suggested we try going upstream towards Mud Lake. We can no longer park at Mud Lake, so rarely get to travel that section of the creek. After a short distance, we found the old stream we have used before, that leads right back to Jim Lake. It is often very full of brush and maybe not even passable. But we decided to check it out. Today the water was really high and that little portion of creek is very wide. We made our way back to Jim Lake easily. Once back on the lake we tried to find another stream that we had paddled long ago that leads over to Mud Lake. But we were unable to find that. I recall that the time we did that in the past, it was highly overgrown and we had to work hard to get through it. Today we couldn't find any indication that it still exists. When I got home and looked at my GPS track I discovered that where we turned around was exactly where the creek to Mud Lake shows on Google Maps. If it does still exist it is probably more easily found from the Mud Lake side. We paddled back to the little stream and went back on the main McRoberts Creek and made our way all the way to Mud Lake. At that point we were getting tired so turned back and took the little creek back to Jim Lake. I will likely never bother with the portage again, now that I know exactly where the creek is that enables me to avoid the portage. I marked the little creek on my GAIA App on my phone to be sure to find it next time. There is a very large spruce tree that marks the spot to the stream to the lake, from the main creek side. I will try to remember to look for it to find my way back to the lake in the future. There was an eagle perched on the top of the tree watching all of our activities.


Tree that marks the entrance to the creek to Jim Lake




Entrance to the outlet creek from the Jim Lake side


Mark in his one person canoe

No comments:

Post a Comment