Sunday, March 24, 2019

Dalton Highway Run

I ran along the Dalton Highway today.  First I ran/walked all the way out to the Sagavanirktok River.  In summer you can't do that because at the end of the trail where I usually run, the road has been discontinued and there is a branch of the river running through it.  But now it is frozen so I ran all the way out to the river.  The snow and drifts were so deep that I was breaking through a lot, so ended up doing more of a walk than a run for that part.  But I've wanted to go check it out.  The light was really flat, so after I went out there, I had to stick to the highway so I could see where I was going.

Sagavanirktok River
I definitely run better along the road, than the trail, so probably get a better workout when I stay on it.  But the trail is nice and totally away from traffic.  Usually there isn't much traffic, but today there were more trucks than usual.  But there is much more traffic when I run in Deadhorse around the lake.  So even though I prefer the lake, I feel less in everyone's way when I'm out on the main highway.  It's quite icy out there right now and I sure need the ice grippers. 


No comments:

Post a Comment