Friday, April 10, 2020

Spectacular Hike at Gold Mint Trail

It's always beautiful on the Gold Mint Trail, but today was extra gorgeous.  The walking trail was narrow and very hard icy snow.  So I chose to walk it rather than try to ski.  The silence was wonderful.  Not a soul out there with me.  The epitome of social distancing!

I stayed on the hard packed walking trail until the 2 mile point, where it abruptly stopped.  I think whoever originally packed it, had no idea where the real summer trail is.  It basically stopped at a very steep cliff that overlooked the creek.  I could see a snow machine trail far below, but I think it was on the other side of the creek.  It does look like someone scrambled down the cliff side but I didn't want to chance a fall out there all alone.  Once I left the hard pack, I sank up to my knees. So I decided it was time to turn back.  I did leave the trail for a short time and followed the remnants of a trail made by someone on snowshoes.  But I ended up back on the main trail.  I got some beautiful photos out there today.  It was only 4 miles, but just what I needed to boost my spirits.




No comments:

Post a Comment