Friday, April 17, 2020

Independence Mine Ski

The snow is melting quickly and is becoming slush in most places.  But Hatcher Pass area is still hanging on and the Mat-Su Ski Club is still grooming Independence Mine and Archangel Valley for skiing. I planned on going to Archangel Valley but the trail head parking lot was so full that there wasn't even enough room to park.  So I went on up the hill and parked at the mine with only a couple other cars.  The disadvantage was that it was still a little foggy there and visibility wasn't the best with very flat light. But I didn't want to try to ski with too many people since we're still called to keep a distance of at least 6 feet from others. 

It was very peaceful and the snow quite soft.  It was obviously above freezing.  But the freshly groomed spring snow was wonderful for skiing.  I had to really watch where I was going while coming back down the hill though.  It was very difficult in places to see where the trail was headed.  But it was a pleasant ride down and an easy ski up.  I only did about 3 miles because people started arriving.  It gets tricky for me trying to avoid some of the faster skiers on the fairly narrow trail. 

But I'm glad I got out there and enjoyed what may be my last day to ski until next winter.


No comments:

Post a Comment