Friday, May 6, 2016

Independence Series Day 3 Pennsylvania

Today in Birdsboro, Pennsylvania at the Daniel Boone Homestead we really got to see what it's like to run a marathon in the pouring rain. It poured rain the entire day.  The course was basically trail with gentle hills.  Some parts were paved trail but other parts were gravel.  All of the low sections were eventually flooded. At times the water was actually over my ankles.  There was a bridge over a creek and as the hours passed the creek became higher and higher.  I wondered if it would finally flood right over the little wooden bridge. But I did finish before that happened.  This was a very slow race and I found that my raincoat was totally worthless.  I was soaked to the skin.  My shoes were so wet that I washed them out in the bathtub when I got back to my hotel.  I was really slow as I splashed through that course.  The only saving grace that made it better than the New Jersey Marathon was that it didn't include any wind.  Thank goodness!  But I was out there for 8 hours and 34 minutes, thinking that there must be a better was to check off a marathon in Pennsylvania!

There were a few sheep out there along the trail likely wondering what in the world the crazy humans were doing out there.


No comments:

Post a Comment