Tuesday, September 13, 2011

10 Miles in Fog

It started out as the most beautiful day with 50 degrees and a light wind and nothing but bright sunshine.  But about 30 minutes into my 10 mile run, in rolled the fog.  It was early today.  It usually doesn't show up until the minute I walk into the Flight Service Station door to start work.  By the time I finished my run I was freezing, adding layers, and running against the wind.
A beautiful snowy owl flew over me once.  I had been photographing them the last few days, but not today with all that fog.  They are so gorgeous.  I hope to get a better close-up at some point.


I am running very slowly these days.  My shoulder still hurts and I know I can look forward to an agonizing day tomorrow in repayment for a 10 mile run. So for that reason, I am probably going to alter my training schedule from something that really looks like a normal marathon training schedule to something quite different.  I really need my long runs, but even after a short run, my shoulder pain is extreme for a couple of days.  So I will likely limit my runs to longer ones, every 3 days or so, and pass on the short 3 and 4 mile ones.  I need to pick up speed and increase my endurance, not only for the two marathons in the next two months but also for my upcoming climb of Mt. Kilimanjaro in February.  I can't afford to wait 3 days to recover after every short run.  So I will run a lot, recover a few days then run a lot more.
I will see how this new strategy goes for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment