Sunday, September 15, 2024

Twin Peaks Trail

 I was still a bit tired from yesterday's Bear Mountain hike but I felt restless and just wanted to get out and try to see some fall colors. I decided to drive up to Eklutna Lake just to take sme pictures. I had no intention of actually hiking. When I got there, I found not a single parking place. In fact people were parked illegally all up and down the road. That's not unusual on a nice weekend day, plus I got a very late start. I ended up parking in the ATV lot by the ranger station and walking the extra distance along the extremely muddy ATV trail. I started hiking up the Twin Peaks Trail with no real destination. But the farther I walked the less I wanted to turn around. I remembered a particular spot just below the first bench at the overlook. There is a large stand of birch trees that often turn bright yellow gold in autumn. That spot is breathtaking in fall and it was definitely at peak today. From there I just kept going, just Bella and me, until we reached the second bench where the trail splits to go up to Pepper Peak or on to the Twin Peaks. Many people turn back at this spot. But it was so pretty there today that I took the steep trail towards Pepper Peak up to the high ridge with the most spectacular view of Eklutna Lake. The main trail had been wet but the high trail was mostly dry and easy hiking. Bella and I had some snacks and her doggie treats then we turned back. With the addition of the ATV trail we covered 7 miles. Gorgeous colors were everywhere. Today was a perfect day to hike up there. This is always one of my favorite hikes.

Eklutna Lake from just below the first bench





Twin Peaks

Bella on the upper ridge overlook


No comments:

Post a Comment