Monday, September 16, 2024

Bird Ridge

 I tried this very steep trail last year with the Valley Wanderers but we turned back close to the high point due to 50 mph winds. One of my gloves is probably somewhere still out there in the wilds of Indian Valley. There was also substantial snow where we turned back last time. This time we waited until a bit later in the year and hiking conditions were perfect. As we neared the top of the ridge, I felt myself slowing down. The steep hikes the last 3 days had likely caught up with me and I was really tired. I let Bella off her leash and she followed close behind the rest of our group. Each time I started to feel frustrated, here would come Bella bouncing down the trail to check on me. It was very helpful because there are numerous trails winding through the rocks at this point, and she always showed me the way the others had gone. She was a natural guide. At the official top the weather was starting to get windy and there was a trace of rain starting to fall. Our 3 speediest members, Virginia, Chris and Erin elected to continue along the ridge, That idea intrigued me but I knew I would only slow them down. I descended with the other 3 in our group. I was happy with that decision because once again it started to rain hard and we were all kind of wet when we got back to our cars. The views are spectacular from up there. We could see mountains forever and the silvery mud flats of the Turnagain Arm of Cook Inlet below us. Next time, I'd like to continue along the ridge and see what else is out there to see. It's an amazing place. It was only 5 miles round trip but seemed so much longer because of the steepness.





Of course I had to get my picture taken from the top of this little point


No comments:

Post a Comment