Tuesday, September 3, 2024

Matanuska Peak Climb

I've been wanting to climb Matanuska Peak all summer, but never could find anyone willing to join me on this awesome hike. It's a tough one for sure, but I have done it at least 4 times. The last time I did it, I was running the Matanuska Peak Challenge, a few years ago. I made it to the top fine but managed to sprain my ankle running the long straight trail across the upper valley. Had to call the race director and confess I didn't think I could make it on the climb back up Lazy Mountain, so had to scratch, call a friend, hike out to Smith Road and have him pick me up. 

I had planned to climb it on Monday, Labor Day with my friend Alice, but the weather was ridiculous that day so we climbed Lazy Mountain from the Southside Trail instead. Weather forecast for today was great, so I decided I didn't need anyone to go with me. I have climbed it solo before so I went for it by myself. Bella, my dog refused to walk when I got to the trailhead. Apparently after hiking up Lazy yesterday and Friday, she'd had enough of that trail. I took her home and came back. She's a great rock scrambler, but it was probably wise to leave her home for this one. 

The trail was pectacular with bright reds and golds of fall color sprinkled all over the mountains. Only one hiker passed me on the way up at about the first mile. I definitely felt all alone out there. I love the quiet of hiking alone, but I realize I do sacrifice a little bit of safety. If there were any bears out there, I hoped that my silly bear bells would alert them to my presence. There were more clouds than the forecast had suggested, but at least the peaks stayed clear and there was never any rain. I still ran a lot of the long trail across the valley, but once past the picnic table and crossing the now, dry riverbed, it was all slow walking. The final climb begins with loose scree and sand then turns into rocks progressively increasing in size. The last mile or so involves climbing 3000 feet in about a mile and a half. Once in awhile I could see tiny figures far above me making their descent in the distance. Two young ladies passed me heading down as I climbed. Later a couple of men passed me. I kept pressing on, now picking my way through the rocks. Dan, the guy who passed me at mile 1 on my way up finally came down followed by another young guy who was practically dancing down the rocks. By now, I knew I was getting close to the summit, but was starting to feel discouraged. When climbing, the mountain never looks closer, it just looks bigger. Dan pointed out the best route around a gigantic rock, the size of my house and encouraged me to not give up because I was really getting close. At this point I packed my trekking poles into my pack and proceeded using both hands and feet. The rocks were now really huge and very rough covered with black licken. Fortunately, my hiking shoes do great on rocks. Sometimes it seems like they act like their soles contain little suction cups, and I climbed fairly easily through the rest of the rocks. Dan told me to look for the pole marking the summit, because it gives confidence when you see that. It was like the light at the end of the tunnel. Once I saw it, I did feel confident and moved pretty quickly to the top. The view up there is beyond words. I quickly phoned my friend Mark who was my contact down below and let him know I made it. I took lots of pictures and worried a little as clouds began gathering around me. Since I was now the only climber still high on the mountain, I didn't linger for very long. I wasn't too interested in getting involved with clouds and fog while picking my way back through those rocks. I felt pretty good coming down, just being careful not to stumble and break something resulting in a helicopter ride! The huge rocks weren't as much of a challenge as the loose rocks and scree on the lower part of the steep slope. I was so happy to reach that picnic table and take a much needed food break. Checked in again with Mark, then mostly ran along the narrow trail, crossed the cute bridge the Valley Wanderers had installed over Lazy Creek, then slowed my pace at the wooden tripod that marks the Lazy Mountain Southside Trail junction. I can't run as much after that because it gets a little slippery and tree roots like to reach out and trip me. I only fell on my butt a couple of times, but did no damage. Now the sun was shining brightly and the fall colors were just splendid. I was tired but was still totally enjoying the whole experience. A couple of hard core runners passed me coming down from Lazy Mountain and a couple other hikers passed me heading up the trail. Otherwise I was still alone and enjoying the peacefulness of being alone with nature. 

Thank you Matanuska Peak for letting me climb you again. I'll be back, probably next summer. It was wonderful!
Thank you Dan Hanrahan for your helpful tips, and Mark Simpson for keeping track of my progress. 

Matanuska Peak across the valley

Matanuska Peak



Summit View

Summit View

Summit View

Summit View

Summit View

Bridge over Lazy Creek

No comments:

Post a Comment