Wednesday, October 26, 2022

Twin Peaks Trail

 I just wanted to drive up to Eklutna Lake and see how the snow conditions are. I didn't even change into my hiking boots, bring my pack, or food and water. I just planned to walk a short distance on the Lakeside Trail. But once we crossed the bridge, Baby refused to take another step along the Lakeside Trail. Instead, she turned towards the Twin Peaks Trail and pulled me in that direction. Figuring we wouldn't go very far, I decided not to drag her back to the car and change my shoes, get my grippers, and more appropriate gear. But even though there was an inch or more of snow, Baby headed non-stop up the trail. I did find the conditions were still ok with the shoes I had on, but I kept wishing I had my hiking boots. We made it up to the bench at the overlook, to my astonishment! The view was so amazing, that Baby and I just sat on the bench for a while, staring at the lake below. It was chilly, 27 degrees, but the sun made it feel much warmer. I felt like I'd be happy to stay right there forever. Normally, Baby is quite ready to head back down, but she wanted to continue. I knew the snow would likely be deeper as we climbed, but it still seemed ok. We made it about halfway to the second bench when she decided she'd had enough. She turned around and we went on back down to the car. It turned out to be such a wonderful little hike, that I thanked her frequently for making me go there instead of the flatter trail along the lake. 




No comments:

Post a Comment