Saturday, October 8, 2022

Matanuska Lakes Trail, Long Lake Loop Twice

 The Valley Wanderers had planned to hike the Mount Eklutna, Bear Point loop. But it was raining and forecast to do so all day. That loop can get very muddy and steep so they decided to hike at Matanuska Lake instead. I love these trails, not very steep, with so many options. We hiked the Long Lake Loop once then three of us decided to do the route again since the day was still young. I took a chance and let Baby off her leash. We had another dog with us for the second time around and Baby seemed to be getting along fine with him. She did great, and stayed right behind me the whole way. Fortunately there were no squirrels tempting her to take off and disappear, sending me screaming down the trail after her. When other hikers with dogs approached, I quickly hooked her back to her leash. I could tell she wanted to try to start trouble with them in her usual way. But once they were past us, I was able to let her run free again. The trail was nice and dry with just a few small muddy spots. It was very windy, but the forecast rain never arrived. I think that wind would have been pretty horrible if we had done Mount Eklutna though. I think we made a good choice. 

  





No comments:

Post a Comment