Thursday, October 27, 2022

Pioneer Ridge Trail

 Hiked up the Pioneer Ridge Trail today with the Valley Wanderers. The ground was frozen but with very little snow, although it was still quite rough. There were deep ruts where not long ago there was obviously fairly deep mud. So glad it was frozen today. Baby did great for the first mile and a half. But then it got colder and the snow was deeper. We all stopped to put on our micro-spikes and I had to put Baby into my backpack. She was shivering and trying to climb up my leg, her signal for "carry me!" The trail got pretty tricky in places after that, with streams and frozen overflow to deal with. The view across the valley was beautiful but it was still a bit too cloudy to get a view of Knik Glacier. But it was a great workout with 2380 feet of elevation gain and 5 miles total distance. I needed all of my clothing layers because it was only about 25 degrees. At least there was no wind. We all kept our spikes on for the descent because even with them on it got quite slippery. I had a couple of short falls myself. Baby didn't seem too concerned inside of her backpack and neither of us got hurt. She seems to enjoy riding back there and just staying warm and looking around.





No comments:

Post a Comment