Sunday, October 2, 2022

Summit Lake

I drove up to Hatcher Pass, not sure what I was going to do when I got there. It was pretty cloudy but at least not raining. I knew there would be snow up at Summit Lake, but not enough to worry about avalanches yet. So Baby and I hiked up the gravel road past the closed gate and walked all the way up to the top of the pass to the lake. It was beautiful up there. I love the view of lakes that are still open yet surrounded by snow. The first half of the 2 mile long road was wet but snow-free. The top half was just slushy snow a few inches deep. It wasn't terribly cold, at just about freezing. Up by the lake it was a little windy but not terrible. We looked around, admired the view, then enjoyed a 2-mile run to the bottom. Just before the gate there is a little trail that cuts down across the creek to the turnout where I had parked. We diverted off the road and checked it out. It was quite steep and muddy in spots. But it was nice crossing the little bridge over the creek. It was a very enjoyable little climb and run.








No comments:

Post a Comment