Wednesday, January 26, 2022

Eklutna Lakeside Trail

 At first when I arrived at Eklutna Lake, I was quite disappointed.  I have 8 inches of beautiful new snow in my yard, so of course, figured it would be the same at Eklutna. I put on my ski boots and my skate skis, with Baby pulling me, with her usual stops and sniffs.  But quickly I realized there was only a couple of inches of new snow on top of icy deep ruts and bumps from old footprints left over from the warmer days and rain from the weekend. Baby didn't think much of it either, and refused to walk.  I put her in my backpack and went a littler further, until I caught my ski on a bump and toppled over.  By then, I'd had enough with skiing.  I took off the skis and walked back to the car.  I switched over to my snow boots and spikes and kept Baby in my backpack. I hiked to the Yuditnu Creek Bridge, staying on the upper trail, which was more packed than the lower bike trail.  It was fine for walking, although a little rough.  I turned around at mile 3 because it would be dark soon and I wanted to get back while the road was still light. The road was plowed but still covered with snow.  I let Baby walk the last mile, and she was happy to run the whole way to the car.  She's always happy to head back to the car, but sometimes on the way out, she isn't so sure.  It was a nice peaceful walk with only a couple of fat tire bike riders who passed us in the last quarter mile on our way back.  Maybe the word was out that the conditions were less than perfect.



No comments:

Post a Comment