Saturday, August 22, 2020

April Bowl to Government Peak

This was a fabulous trek. I've wanted to do this for quite some time. Plus it was also the suggested route for the August Valley Trail Race. So I got to count it for the race and fulfill my wish for doing that route.  It turned out to be much easier that I had expected. Even though we both hiked April Bowl to Hatch Peak last week, somehow Pam and I managed to totally miss Hatch Peak and ended up on the ridge between the two peaks without even realizing we were there.  We tried too hard to avoid an exposed section through the rocks.  But once up on the ridge it was easy sailing all the way over to Government peak. Technically there is no trail, but there was a pretty obvious beaten trail from so many people wanting to find the route.  Once on top of Government Peak it was a long trek down via the Blueberry Knoll route to the Parking lot where I had left my car, so we didn't have to backtrack to April Bowl. Pam's dog Abby and my tiny dog Baby did great.  Baby was getting stuck in the low brush down from Blueberry Knoll so I ended up tossing her in my pack for the last part down.





Pam and I on the top of Government Peak




No comments:

Post a Comment