Saturday, July 11, 2020

Hatcher Pass Marathon

Finally, a real marathon that I can actually count towards my official marathon statistics.  #154. This one is always very small and they did a staggered start to keep runners separated.  I'm glad they let me start with the first wave since they knew I would stagger across the finish line last as I typically do.  As usual, I was by far the oldest as slowest.  It was a nice cool temperature, which was really nice.  But at mile 10 it started to pour rain. Fortunately that only lasted for a few miles.  Then the sun came out and it was quite beautiful.  The sun also brought out zillions of annoying gnats.  Thankfully one of the race officials drove by and asked me if I needed anything.  She had bug spray and I marinated myself in it.  That kept the annoying creatures away.  Around mile 20 it started to rain again. Almost all of the race is uphill, but mile 20 to 25 is by far the steepest and most difficult part.  It poured rain the whole rest of the course.  I was eventually totally soaked and freezing cold.  But I kept going,  knowing I only had a few more miles to go.  I did finish, last as usual.  But it felt like quite an accomplishment just to finally reach the finish line.  This was my first official marathon since the Los Angeles Marathon back on March 8th.



No comments:

Post a Comment