Tuesday, October 3, 2023

The Perch & Dew Mound Hike

 I took a lovely hike today with the Valley Wanderers on the Crow Pass Trail from the Eagle River Nature Center. We only planned to hike around 9 miles to a huge rock outcropping that everyone calls The Perch. There is also another rock mound along the way called Dew Mound, that we climbed to have a nice snack break. It was really chilly and the sun was hidden by the trees and mountains until we reached the river itself. I kept thinking I should add another layer of coat but kept putting it off, believing we should hit sunlight soon. I didn't really warm up until we reached the Perch, our final destination. There are still a lot of bright gold colors on the trees, but most of the leaves have already fallen on the majority of the trail. It made the trail very beautiful with a blanket of golden leaves. They also made it quite slippery causing a few of our group to slip and fall. I came close a couple of times but managed to stay upright for the entire 9 miles. The Perch has the most beautiful view of Eagle River and the surrounding mountains. I loved how the sun reflected off the water. We had a nice lunch break, finally warm in the sunshine on the rock overlooking the view. I've decided it's time to get out my winter coat and winter hiking boots, since my feet were cold the entire time. But it was worth it! A lovely day.

 




No comments:

Post a Comment