Wednesday, October 18, 2023

Lazy Mountain Climb

 Our Valley Wanderers group planned to flag the Lazy Moose Trail from the picnic table halfway up Lazy Mountain down to where the official markers stop. In the winter people tend to give up and turn back because they can't find the trail past the official markers. We like to hike and snowshoe in the winter, so flag trails with survey tape to help people find the trail once it is snow covered. Our plan was to go at our own pace and meet at the picnic table at noon. I really like to go all the way to the top of the mountain instead of just to the halfway point, so I left at 8:30 am before the sun was officially up, and climbed to the summit alone. It was 28 degrees but nice and calm. There is a little snow on the upper mountain but the trail itself was mostly clear. It was a beautiful clear day, just perfect for the climb. I got to the top at 11 and had plenty of time to beat everyone else to the picnic table on my way down. From there we walked the 3 miles down the Lazy Moose Trail putting orange flagging on the trees to mark the trail. The hike up had been nice and frozen and easy hiking, but Lazy Moose had warmed with the sun and turned to mud. I kept my ice grippers on to keep from slipping and sliding all the way down. It was a delightful 6.6 mile hike and I was so happy I chose to go to the top. I love the view up there.




No comments:

Post a Comment