Tuesday, October 17, 2023

Long Lake Kayak

 I've had my eye on Long Lake, the lake I so often hike around, as a potential place to kayak. But there is no easy way to access it. There is a short but very steep trail that identifies itself as the Long Lake Public Access. But it is far too steep to transport a normal boat. My kayak folds up and can be easily carried, so I have been considering giving it a try. The trail is just a little bit longer than 1/10 mile, but it is very steep up to the hiking trail, then much steeper down to the lake. Right now the whole trail is very wet and slippery, plus covered with wet leaves. I had no trouble at all carrying the boat to the lake. There is a fairly flat spot just before the lake where I was able to assemble the kayak. It was very slippery and a bit difficult but I was able to do it. Then I let it down to the water gently while stepping down three wooden steps. I was able to step right in and be on my way. A short distance on the water I reached for my brand new iPhone 15 pro that I had placed in the waterproof container that I always wear around my neck when on the water. To my horror, the phone was not in it. I discovered that the bottom had split out, which meant that the phone fell through when I put it in. I scrambled back to my put in spot and found it lying in the dirt, thank goodness, not in the water. That plastic holder is now rendered trash. After that, I paddled the entire perimeter of the lake. The water was completely calm, and even though it was only 37 degrees out, I was never cold. Half of the lake was in the shade and the other side was nice and sunny. I was surprised to find a man in a tiny inflatable raft out there fishing. I've never seen any kind of watercraft on that lake. He looked as surprised to see me as I was to see him. I had lovely views of the mountains, that I never see while hiking the loop trail around the lake. On the trail the trees tend to obscure the view. I startled a few ducks but otherwise it was just a calm and restful little adventure out on the water. 

When I got back to the trail, I had quite a time getting out of the boat. The dirt was wet and slick and nearly vertical. I ended up tying the boat to a tree, and pulling myself up by tree branches until I was able to scramble up to a large wooden beam that was secured at the side of the trail. I was quite covered with mud by then but at least my boat and I were secure. I ended up pulling the boat up to the wooden beam by its rope. The trail was so slick that I could hardly climb up it. I really needed spikes on my shoes. But I carefully made my way up, simply pulling the boat behind me by the rope. It was too slick to try to fold the boat back, so I left it fully open. I put the paddles in it, and was able to finally reach the main trail where it was dry and flat. It was kind of a crazy little adventure but still a very enjoyable way to spend a couple of hours. It was about 2.85 miles around the lake. I'm not sure I'll bother to do it again, at least not when the trail is slick mud. But it was worth the effort.

Matanuska Peak Reflection




Lake access point

No comments:

Post a Comment