Thursday, October 19, 2023

National Ski Patrol

I got a nice surprise at our local Ski Patrol meeting last night. The National office sent this lovely mounted certificate to my patrol leader, commemorating my 50 years on the Ski Patrol. It all started in the fall of 1973 which consisted of just basic first aid class plus ski training in those days, in Mount Shasta California. When the Ski Shasta Ski Area was destroyed by an avalanche I moved to San Diego. There, I patrolled up in the mountains out of Wrightwood, California as Pro Patrol at Holiday Hill, which is now part of Mountain High Ski Area. When I moved to Alaska I started at Alyeska, then switched to Arctic Valley Ski Area when I moved to Palmer. A few of us started the Pioneer Ski Patrol out here in the Matanuska Valley and we still patrolled up at Arctic as well as some Nordic backcountry patrolling. Now our Pioneer Patrol takes care of the new Skeetawk Ski Area up in the Hatcher Pass area. I'll keep patrolling until I take my final ski run!


Me and Ron Orbeck, two of the original Pioneer Ski Patrollers

  

No comments:

Post a Comment