Saturday, October 7, 2023

Red Shirt Lake Trail

 Hiked the Red Shirt Lake Trail today with the Valley Wanderers. Pam also joined us. It was a new trail for most of the group but one I have done several times. It's a lot like the Crevasse Moraine Trails, heavily wooded with narrow pathways up and down gentle hills. There is not much elevation gain because we basically cross a ridge then descend down to the lake.  It's 6 miles round trip. The trail was very wet with many muddy sections. It also has a lot of tree roots, which were extremely slippery because they were wet and covered with wet leaves. I slipped and landed on one knee at one point, but that was the only fall in the group. I just got mud on my pants but that's all. Most of the leaves have fallen, making the trail itself golden but the trees bare. There was an occasional golden tree. The first half of the trail was very foggy, giving it a mysterious feeling. Shortly before we reached the lake, the fog lifted and we had a nice sunny walk. The lake is beautiful and it was totally calm. They do rent canoes there and it would have been a perfect day to be out on the water. But you need to arrange to rent the boats before you leave the trailhead. There are quite a few canoes there at the end of the trail on the shore of the lake. I'd love to bring my kayak in there, but that's a longer walk that I want to do, carrying my boat, even if it is pretty light. 






No comments:

Post a Comment