Saturday, September 4, 2021

Gold Mint Trail

 It's raining in Palmer today but I wanted to go somewhere for at least a short hike or run. I found that it wasn't raining up at Gold Mint Trail so Baby and I hiked in 2 miles then back out because I have a commitment later today.  The trail was quite wet and I'm sure very muddy if we had the time to walk further. But I really want to come back next week if we have a couple of nice days, and hike the whole 9 miles back to the Mint Hut at the base of the glacier.  Of course I'll need to backpack in and camp because we probably don't have enough daylight to do all 18 miles in one day.  I'm not sure I'll find anyone to go with me, but I'm going to try to do it anyway.  I've wanted to get back there for many years and if I can't find a fellow hiker, I'll just have to be satisfied with a chihuahua as a hiking buddy! The fall colors are starting to show so it will be spectacular out there soon. It was kind of sad to see how the beaver dam with its massive beaver houses has been destroyed by the big avalanches this past winter.  If it had not been so wet and muddy, I think it would be possible to go right inside of the old beaver houses and see how the little guys once lived.  


No comments:

Post a Comment