Sunday, September 12, 2021

Lazy Moose Trail

 I was still pretty sore from yesterday's Government Peak Traverse, but my friend Alice really wanted to try to climb Lazy Mountain.  She doesn't like extreme steep trails so we took the Lazy Moose Trail.  It's 2 miles longer than the Lazy Mountain Trail, but considerably more gentle, with meandering switchbacks and great views of the valley below.  My legs were doing OK, even though I was still feeling some pain where I had fallen yesterday and smacked my knee on a rock. Once we reached the halfway point, the trail does get steeper, although nothing like the first section of the old trail.  But Alice found it was still too steep for her, so we turned back shortly after the halfway point.  Baby was really funny because she didn't want to turn around.  She knows that trail so well and knew there were ground squirrels and marmots and other things of interest further up the trail.  She stood there with all 4 legs braced in her "I'm not going to turn around!" stance.  I had to do a little bit of coaxing to get her to finally agree to go down.  I didn't want to go down either, but Alice was having some back pain so we had no choice.  We still had a nice 6 mile hike and the fall colors were beautiful.  Later on the wind came up so maybe it's just as well we turned back. I bet it got pretty cold up there. 






No comments:

Post a Comment