Saturday, September 18, 2021

Equinox Marathon

Marathon #160 completed today.  This was one of the hardest ones yet. I did run this one back in 2008 and although I remember it being difficult, I had forgotten just HOW difficult!  Back then I was 3rd in my age division, F 60-64. This time in spite of all the trials, I came out first in my division. F 75-79.  Of course that was only because I was the only person in that division. 

Before I even started, I was a little tired from the long drive up from Palmer to Fairbanks. 360 miles and over 6 hours. I also was still having a little stiffness and pain in my right leg left over from slipping on a rock the previous Saturday on my way down from the Hatch to Government Peak traverse. But it didn't seem to be causing any significant problems. It was a beautiful day, but quite chilly in the high 20's. But at least it wasn't snowing. I felt pretty good until mile 6 when on a small downhill section I managed to catch my foot in a tree root. Not uncommon on a trail marathon. I smacked the left side of my head on the hard ground and also hit my left arm and left ribs.  As soon as my headache stopped, I picked myself up and said to myself, "Well, only 20 more miles to go!" Then I continued on.  My ribs were really hurting because the first half of the race is mostly uphill and it was very painful to take a deep breath. But I trudged along and made it to the top then down the other side on the out and back portion, then down the last miles. It was very cold and windy on the top portion and I was glad I'd dressed fairly warmly. I was occasionally feeling a little discomfort to my right leg because I think it was my right foot that had caught the tree root, causing that fall.  But even bouncing myself down the long steep powerline section called the Chute, I really had no trouble.  I do love downhill and was able to run almost the whole way down to the finish.  I was really happy to finish but I am extremely sore in many places.  I'm going to be recuperating from this race for a while, but it was worth it.  It's a beautiful and challenging marathon. The fall colors were amazing!




No comments:

Post a Comment